Calgary Commuting Culture

Days Four and Five

The Route:
For the past two days I have been taking the bus back and forth between my house and Kensington. Logging probably 30 minutes of bus time. Since the Weather has been nice though I have also been walking this route, adding up to roughly 80 minutes of walking.

The Experience:
The route has been nice, I have been avoiding peak times always getting a seat. I did have to run to the stop and waive the driver down once, but it worked out. I really enjoy taking the commnity buses, those drivers are more likely to stop for someone as there route is not as intensive and time demanding. More than once though I have arrived at my stop, phoned tele-ride to find that the next bus wasn't for another 19 mintues. Meaning that I could walk home in the amount of time that I would be waiting for another bus. Thanks to the glorious weather I havn't minded!

The Highlight:
The most exciting part of my commuting lately has been trying to stabalize myself as I walk on sidewalks that did not get shoveled after the last snow and now have melted into a long, long stretchs of uneven ice! There is no way I can run on that surface so I have had to leave the house a little earlier to ensure that I make it to the stop in time. Oh the joys of chinooks! So warm, but very dangerous at the same time!

How I Feel:
I have enjoyed both the wakling and bus time that I have spent over the past couple days. I fugure the difficult walking is just improving the excercise factor of the commuting! I give these days an 8 out of 10!