Calgary Commuting Culture

Bicycle - Monday to Wednesday... oh where to begin!

Monday
So, Monday was standard ride into work, with nothing really exceptional to report. Monday afternoon, Mike and Teresa filmed me going from SAIT to the top of the hill as you roll into Marda Loop. We got some good footage and things were pretty standard, although it was little cool to be wearing shorts... It was fun to hang out with people and the narcissistic part of me loved seeing myself on my bike on the video tape ;)

Tuesday
The ride on Tuesday was another standard day, with nothing out of the ordinary to report. My morning gauntlet was a bit hectic, but nothing I couldn't handle. The most interesting part of the day came at lunch when I was walking down to the gym near City Hall. Another woman and I were waiting to cross the street at the corner of McLeod Tr. and 5th Ave. I know how the lights and crosswalk signals work at this intersection. McLeod Tr. southbound gets an flashing green arrow before both lanes are given green lights which means we get a delayed walk signal when waiting to cross. This situation does not create optimal crossing conditions for pedestrians because drivers who are speeding to make the flashing green arrow often blow through the intersection after the walk signal has come on and pedestrians have the right-of-way.

So, that's where I was just after noon and the intersection was really busy and as the walk signal came on, a big dump truck was finishing its right turn ala the flashing green. I'm cool with that, he started his turn on yellow, no problem. The dude in his BMW behind the dump truck started to make the turn as the woman and I started to walk (with the walk signal on). He had to screech his brakes and I made an emphatic motion towards the walk signal and gave him essentially a WTF? look. He rolled down his window and started throwing F-bombs at me like they were going out of style. I'm not really one to back down in these sorts of situations... I started walking towards his car throwing my own volley of F-bombs. I ended up standing in the middle of the intersection yelling at this guy in his car as he swore at me and sped away.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with riding my bike, but it is a testament of how some drivers in this city just don't really understand the rules of the road and who actually has the right-of-way! Drivers like this guy make me afraid to ride my bike or walk on or near busy roads because they just don't get it...

Wednesday
This morning I had this grand plan to take the long way to work so I could capture some of the Commuter Olympics which are common down on the Bow River path during the morning and afterwork rush. I hooked up with the pathway just before the Crowchild pedestrian bridge and it was game on! I was heading east towards City Hall and I must have passed about 15-20 riders along the way. And as expected, I ended having about 4 guys latch on to my wheel and catch my draft, it was like a TDF peleton, except it was a bunch of middle aged men with too much testosterone ;) I ramped up my speed close to 40KPH and dropped most of them. One dude hung on and passed me, but I think it just about killed him because a few moments later I passed him back... I guess I am the Commuter Olympian. It was kind of fun to ride that way, just like old times. Unfortunately, my camera shut itself off. I think it may have been a little too cold for it. I will try again tomorrow, perhaps in the afternoon, just so I can capture the spectacle of the Bow River bikepath during peak hours.

3-Day Summary
I felt good on the bike, I logged about 60KM over about 2.5 hours of riding. No real stress, just some laughs during the Commuter Olympics. Oh yes, and it cost me $0.00!!!

Labels: